The ABC's of Advantage!
Now that you have booked your trip, don't forget to purchase travel insurance. MH Ross Travel Insurance Services provides plans with benefits to protect the cost of your travel arrangements; your belongings; and most importantly, you.
NY Times Travel Show Winner Announced
[caption id="attachment_1452" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="MH Ross spent time at the NY Times Travel Show to speak about the importance of travel insurance with travel agents and travelers alike."][/caption]
We also held a drawing for a $150 Best Buy gift card. We're excited to announce our grand-prize winner -- Stephen T. of Woodland Park, NJ! Congratulations, Stephen!
We would love to stay in touch with you and continue the conversation about travel insurance. You can follow us on Facebook, Tweet us, follow us on Pinterest or email us at any time you have questions or want to share your travel experiences. We look forward to connecting with you!
6 Tips to Breeze Through Airport Security
We've all been there - stuck in the line at security. While we can't shrink the lines at the airport, we can give you tips to make the quicker and stress-free.
1. Pack neatly. It is helpful to have your laptop and bag containing 3-ounce liquids in a place that is easy to access as you're going through the line.
2. Dress appropriately. Remember, you'll have to take off your light jacket, too, so make sure you're comfortable wearing what you have on underneath. Also make sure you have on shoes that are easy to slip on and off.
3. Consider investing in TSA Pre✓™. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airport checkpoints for domestic and international travel. That means you won't have to remove your belt, shoes, light jacket, bag containing liquids or laptop from your carry-on. To apply for this program, there is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.00.
4. Leave gifts unwrapped. If TSA decides that they need to see the inside of your gift, it will have to be unwrapped. Avoid this disaster by leaving the gift unwrapped and pack a gift bag in your luggage as well.
5. Double-check the list. If you're wondering what you can and cannot take in the air, look at TSA's list of prohibited items.
6. Get your papers ready. Make sure to have your government-issued ID and boarding pass ready to show at the checkpoint entrance. At that point, you can put your ID away, but leave your boarding pass somewhere you can easily retrieve it when you board the plane.
Tell us - what's your best tip for breezing through airport security? Leave a comment below with your answer.
Winter Storm Highlights Importance of Travel Insurance
As the wrath of Winter Storm Nika continues, snow and ice are filling countless cities across the country. In fact, Nika is causing school closings across the country including Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington D.C. With more snow on the way, schools may be forced to extend their school year.
This reminds us all about the importance of travel insurance, especially during this time of the year. And with this topic fresh on our minds, it's important to ask yourself, "Will these school year extensions ruin my family's vacation?"
Most people know that travel insurance provides coverage against illness, medical and non-medical emergencies, travel delays and cancellations, but did you know travel insurance can also cover you if you need to change your trip due to a school year extension?
We're happy to offer coverage for this very reason in all of our travel insurance plans. If you need to cancel or change your trip due to a school year extension, or have questions about specific coverages that travel insurance provides, please leave a comment below or call us at 800-423-3632.
What is Medical Evacuation coverage?
Medical evacuation is a topic that is often overlooked when purchasing travel insurance because most of us assume "it won't happen to me". However, each year thousands of people of all ages traveling abroad have an emergency that requires a medical evacuation.
You must ask yourselves these important questions: What if you had a sudden health issue on your trip? Would you know which hospital to go to? What if you were unhappy with the care you were receiving? What if you didn't speak the local language? Most importantly, what if you required an evacuation to get proper treatment?
Medical Evacuation coverage (up to $500,000) is a part of all MH Ross travel insurance plans. The benefits you will receive include:
- Arrangement and coordination of medical evacuation
- Arrangement of transportation to nearest adequate medical facility when appropriate care is not available locally
- Emergency messages sent to family, friends and/or business associates
- Reimbursement or payment for transportation expenses
- Assistance with emergency cash transfers
Non-Medical Evacuation is also included in our insurance plans. You can be evacuated due to natural disaster, civil, military or political unrest.
As always, it is important to read your plan provisions to fully understand your coverage. Remember, we're here with you wherever you go. If you have a question, leave a comment below or call us at 800-423-3632.
9 Days of Free Travel at U.S. National Parks in 2014
After over-spending this holiday season, what's better than free admission when you're traveling? We're sharing the days that National parks offer free admission, so you and your family can enjoy the great outdoors. These national parks free days include free entrance into the park, free commercial tours and free transportation entrance.
- January 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- February 15-17: Presidents Day weekend
- April 19-20: Opening weekend of National Park Week
- August 25: National Park Service Birthday
- September 27: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
To find the National park in your state offering free admission during these days, click here.
Don't forget, if you or your spouse is a US military member, you and your dependents are eligible for a free annual pass to all national parks.
Whichever park you decide to visit, be sure to protect your vacation with travel insurance. To find the right plan for you, click here or call us at 800-423-3632. We look forward to answering your questions about travel insurance and hearing about your national parks vacation!
Travel Hiccups and Tips: The Funny Friday Edition
Let's face it, the unexpected part of travel can be frustrating. Flights are sometimes delayed, luggage can get lost and it always seems to happen at the worst times. In addition to protecting yourself and your investment with travel insurance, what can you do to make the situation better? Take a deep breath and try to smile. To help you do that, we're sharing our favorite comics that shine the light on travel blunders and helpful tips to help you avoid the situation all together.
This comic reads, "There we are during our delay at the Chicago Airport and there's us delayed in Denver and here's us during our Newark delay..." Have you ever felt like you spend more time in the airport than at your destination? That can create a lot of frustration. However, if you arm yourself with travel insurance, we can cover the costs of food, hotel and other costs you incur while you're delayed. Make sure to read the plan provisions for the daily limit and all details.
The next Friday Funny comic reads, "And how would you like your bags lost today? On a wrong flight, left behind or 'we don't have the foggiest where they're at'?" Do you feel like you have a stamp on your luggage tag that says, "please lose me"? If your luggage is lost, stolen or delayed while traveling, travel insurance can come to your rescue. By reimbursing you for items you need to replace until your luggage (hopefully) arrives, the insurance can help lessen the stress. Again, we recommend reading all of the Plan Provisions for the daily limits that apply.
Happy Friday, travelers! If you have any questions about how travel insurance can lighten the stress on your travel plans, leave a comment below or call us at 800-423-3632. We're happy to help!
Travel Insurance for a Dream Destination Wedding
10 Things You Should Know Before You Travel Abroad
Bucket-List Worthy Destinations
9 Reasons Adventure Travel is Good for You
Adventure travel tests your limits and leaves you with amazing memories. It gets your hands dirty, but cleans out your soul. An increased number of travelers are tackling an adventurous vacation by climbing a mountain, caving or even skydiving. Read on to find out why this travel trend is good for you.
And don't forget to protect your adventure travel plans with our Sports Upgrade Pac option! Not only will you be covered against lost luggage, illness, flight cancellations and more, but the Sports Upgrade Pac will cover you when participating in participating in bodily contact sports including skydiving; hang gliding; parachuting; mountaineering; bungee cord jumping; spelunking and caving. These activities are normally excluded in travel insurance plans, but we want you to be able to have a true adventure with peace of mind.
1. You'll soar to new heights.
2. Your photos will make your friends jealous.
3. You can hang out in between adventures.
4. There is no age limit on adventure.
5. Adventure travel lets you get off the path.
6. You just need the essentials for adventure travel.
7. Adventure travel pushes you to the edge.
8. When you get dirty, you improve your physical health.
9. Adventure travel creates unforgettable memories.
3-Ingredient Holiday Recipes for Travelers
'Tis the season for holiday parties. If you're traveling for the holidays and are responsible for bringing a dish to your destination, we have the perfect recipes for you. These recipes only require 3 ingredients and can easily be purchased at a local grocery store once you arrive. With little to no baking time, these recipes will be hit at the holiday party, and no one will have to know how easy they were to make after traveling.
CRANBERRY APPLE MOCKTAIL
- Equal parts cranberry and apple juice
- Lemon-lime soda (like Sprite)
- Apples or fresh cranberries for garnish
- Combine equal parts of cranberry and apple juice in a pitcher, stir.
- Pour into glasses about 1/2 - 3/4 full.
- Add splash of soda to each glass.
- Garnish will apples or cranberries.
- 1 tube of Crescent Rolls
- Pizza sauce
- 2 string cheese sticks, cut into fourths
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees or until golden brown.
- Separate dough on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spoon a tablespoon of pizza sauce onto each crescent roll and spread it around.
- Place a piece of string cheese on long end of the crescent roll and roll up each one.
- Bake pizza crescents for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: If you want to get creative with this recipe, you can use more than three ingredients by adding your favorite pizza toppings. Pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms or Canadian bacon would make great additions to this recipe.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 package of traditional Oreos (approximately 15 oz)
- 2 boxes semi-sweet baking squares (16 squares)
- Start out by crushing all (except 5) of the Oreos until finely crushed. You can easily do this by placing the cookies in a plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
- Add the cream cheese and blend.
- Roll Oreo mix into 1-inch balls and place them on a waxed cookie sheet.
- Melt your chocolate squares for dipping by placing them in the microwave for 2 minutes (stirring every 10 seconds).
- Dip the Oreo balls into the hot chocolate.
- Crush the remaining 5 Oreo cookies, then add the pieces to the tops of the truffles.
- Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
And if all else fails, head to the frozen section of the grocery store and pick up a pre-made appetizer. You can pop it in your host's oven and catch a few zzz's to ward off your jet lag before the party. Happy Holidays, travelers! If you have a favorite holiday party recipe, be sure to leave a comment below, share it with us on our Facebook page or Tweet us.
Travel Insurance for a Dream Destination Wedding
You're planning the destination wedding (or honeymoon) of your dreams. You've got the perfect dress and a sunny destination, but do you need travel insurance? We know what you're thinking - there's no way I'd ever cancel this trip, so why get travel insurance?
However, travel insurance provides protection against more than just canceling your trip. It also protects you from medical emergencies, lost baggage, travel delays and much more.
This trip will be a highlight in your life, and travel insurance can safeguard you against the unexpected of travel.
No one expects to get sick, get into an accident or have a serious medical issue while you're on vacation, but unfortunately these things often happen at the most inconvenient time. Your medical insurance may not cover you internationally, and you'll likely be considered "out of network" while traveling domestically, so travel insurance with medical coverage is important.
Also, if you plan on being active while on vacation, travel insurance is especially important. Adventurous activities including hang gliding, caving, skydiving and many others are now covered with our Sports Upgrade Pac.
Baggage/Personal Effects Protection
When packing for a destination wedding or honeymoon, you'll likely have expensive and important items in your luggage. If your luggage is lost, damaged or stolen, the airline may provide you with a reimbursement, but it could take months to get your claim settled. Travel insurance can provide reimbursement for items you need to purchase in order to replace those that were lost, stolen or damaged.
Additional tip for brides: Be sure to carry your wedding dress with you on the plane. Even if your baggage is delayed or lost, you'll have your dress.
Trip Cancellation or Interruption Protection
If your trip has to be cancelled or interrupted due to medical or non-medical reasons, this coverage protects the financial investment you've made on your travels.
If you need help choosing the right travel insurance plan for your destination wedding or honeymoon, we're happy to help. Leave a comment below, contact us on Facebook, Tweet us or call us at 800-423-3632. We look forward to talking with you and hearing all about your travel plans!
6 Best Travel Gifts Under $30
The holidays are right around the corner and that means it's time to start crossing items off of your holiday shopping list! To give you a head start, we've compiled the 6 best holiday gifts for your favorite traveler that won't break the bank.
1. Give the the traveler on your list a personalized luggage tag. This stylish, handmade item is made to order. Price: $14.75
2. Do you know a traveler who loves to take road trips? Then this Road Trip board game is for them! With questions like can you rattle off three cities that start with the letter P?", this game is sure to provide hours of entertainment. Price: $24.95
3. PowerLine PowerCup Converter provides an easy outlet for travelers on the road. The USB port allows you to have power in your car for your phone charger, laptop or anything else you'd like to plug in. Price: $25.57
4. Traveling and reading go together like peanut butter and jelly. 1000 Places To See Before You Die not only helps travelers pass the time, but they can also use to it to plan their next vacation on the way home! And, if you plan to give this book to a traveling companion, mark the pages you'd like to travel with them! Price: $19.95
5. Good Night Sleep Mask lets the traveler on your list lay back and relax by blocking out all outside light. The Good Night Sleep Mask has an elasticized strap with Velcro closure for a comfortable fit. Price: $12.00
6. If you're going to gift your friends with souvenirs from your latest travels, add a special touch by using a map as wrapping paper. You can use a map of the destination you visited or their favorite city. Add a ribbon and you're set!
Price: Free (If you don't already have one, stop by a local travel information center)
With the Advantage Series, there are four levels of protection available.
Our Asset and Asset Plus Plans include low “family friendly” child rates combined with competitive adult rates and an expanded package of benefits for younger (up to age 65) budget-minded travelers.
The Bridge Plan is our most popular package of benefits and services for all ages, and the Complete Plan offers our highest levels of protection.
Group Advantage Plans, from United States Fire Insurance Company, are designed for adult and student groups of 10 or more persons.
3 levels of protection are available, Basic, Standard and Plus, which includes a Cancel For Any Reason Benefit.
To learn more about Group Advantage or to book a group, call MH Ross Customer Service at 800-423-3632.
With the Explorer Series, from Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company, there are 3 levels of protection available.
The Silver Plan includes a set of benefits designed for the budget minded traveler. The Gold Plan includes a more comprehensive set of benefits and the Platinum Plan provides our highest levels of protection, including a Cancel For Any Reason Benefit.
To obtain a quotation or purchase coverage under the Explorer Series, click Continue.